Skip to main content

About this Show

FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace

News/Business. Glenn Beck. (2010) Glenn Beck discusses his upcoming rally and the Tea Party movement; Dr. Carnell Cooper. New. (HD) (CC) (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN

SOURCE

TUNER

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
528

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Iraq 11, Washington 6, Us 6, Obama 5, Glenn Beck 5, Kevin 4, Martin Luther King 4, Juan 4, U.s. 4, United States 3, Israel 3, Glenn 3, Bush 3, Mara 2, Dr. Cooper 2, Chris 2, Salvation 2, Yada 2, Cooper 2, Afghanistan 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  WTTG    FOX News Sunday With Chris Wallace    News/Business. Glenn Beck.  (2010) Glenn Beck discusses  
   his upcoming rally and the Tea Party movement; Dr. Carnell...  

    August 29, 2010
    9:00 - 10:00am EDT  

9:00am
happening in the next couple of days. monday and tuesday temperatures in the low 90s. low 90s today and plenty of sunshine. and low humidity. so if you have any outdoor plans to start the week, that's a great thing. >> and that is a great weigh to end the week. get out there and enjoy it. that does it for us this morning. stay tuned for fox news sunday with >> chris: i'm chris wallace and this is "fox news sunday." on the steps of the lincoln memorial, thousands gather for a rally to restore honor to america. now the man behind the event, glenn beck, speaks out on country's future, his critics, and himself in his first and only interview after the rally. glenn beck, only on "fox news sunday." then the bad economic news piles up. with the summer of recovery losing steam, we'll ask our sunday group what it means for the november elections. and our power player of the
9:01am
week. saving lives in and out of the emergency room. all right now on "fox news sunday". and hello again from fox news in washington. well, it was part revival meeting, part patriotic rally. and there may have never been anything quite like it on the national mall. >> they came by the tens of thousands. stretching all the way from the steps of the lincoln memorial down past the reflecting pool. saturday's event called "restoring honor" was a tribute to our military, and a call for americans to return to core values. while there was no open politics, former governor sarah palin made a veiled reference to country headed in the wrong direction. >> we must not fundamentally transform america as some would want. we must restore america and restore her honor. >> chris: but the man everyone came to see was
9:02am
organizer glenn beck who said this nation is at a cross roads. >> my challenge to you today is to make a choice. does america go forward and the american experience expand? or does the experiment fail with us? >> chris: when it was over, we sat down with beck, for his first and only interview after the rally. glenn, welcome to "fox news sunday." >> thank you. >> chris: what does this day mean, the tens of thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands of people who attended, what is the message of the day? >> well, if it's just a message for the day, it's pretty meaningless. but if it is -- the line i actually cut from the speech was the last line. there were 40 days and 40 nights away from fundamentally transforming the united states of america.
9:03am
if people awaken and turn around and see that we have lost our way, and they do something about it in their own lives, not through politics but in their own lives, then it's an important day. otherwise, it was just a nice day out in sunshine. >> chris: i want to talk about this exact point that you're just mentioning. you talk about miracles. you talk about an end to spiritual darkness. you talk about america turning back to god. do you feel that you have a role -- and i mean this seriously. do you feel that you have a role in trying to save this country? you don't? [ no audible response ] no, i just ask questions for a living. >> i forgot i was with an actual journalist. i think, chris, that every american should feel that way. because you're a journalist,
9:04am
you shouldn't become an advocate. i'm not a journalist. i think every american has a role in saving this country. whether you're a democrat, republican, independent, it doesn't matter. we all know the country is in trouble. we may disagree on how to solve it, but we all know the country is in trouble. i've come to the place where i believe there is no way to solve these problems, these issues. there is nothing that we can do that will solve the problems that we have and keep the peace, unless we solve it through god. unless we solve it in being our highest self. and that's a pretty tall order. >> chris: you say, and you emphasize that there would be no politics in this rally. and there really wasn't. but the fact is -- i say this as somebody who has been in washington for 30 years. that may be a plus or a minus. when you have a crowd as big as you had today, that makes a political statement.
9:05am
in the context of the november elections that are coming up, what do you think the challenge is to our political parties? what was the message that the tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands of people who came to watch you, what were they trying to tell our leaders? >> i don't know what they were trying to tell the leaders. the message, i think, to get -- look, we'll have aerial photography here shortly on the numbers but i can tell you it was in the hundreds of thousands. let's be on the low end, 300,000. it may be as high as 650,000. but there were hundreds of thousands. you don't get that many people to come to washington and stand there and have that kind of a moment without signs. without any political messages. for no reason.
9:06am
you don't do it because they're happy about things. that's what the politicians, the first message they should get. people aren't really happy with things. a good number of people are not happy with the direction we're going. the second message they should get, the politicians is where are you headed? where are you taking -- we want the truth. americans just want the truth. that's why i said in this speech, demand the truth from yourself first before you demand it from someone else. you've got to demand the truth from yourself. and that's what i challenge that group to do. what message they were trying to send, you'd have to ask them. the message i was trying to send was be your highest self, and stand in the burning bush. stand in the fire, because that's the only thing that is going to save us. >> chris: one of the big
9:07am
controversies about this event was the date, the 47th anniversary of martin luther king's "i have a dream." you say it was a coincidence. but you say it was divine providence because you wanted to preclaim the civil rights movement. reclaim from whom? reclaim from what? >> how about who is reclaiming? people of faith. reclaiming from politics. i read headline after headline after headline this week that the the damage that i have done to racial politics. my gosh, who thinks racial politics, who is typing that out and saying yes, the damage that has been done to racial politics and thinks that's a good thing? race should not be in politics. race is a negative that is a heart condition, quite honestly. the people that, and i don't, i got a lot of heat this week
9:08am
from people saying oh, you are saying that you were part of the -- i wasn't even born. i wasn't even born. i lived in the pacific northwest. i can't even begin to relate. but i can understand it intellectually. and i can also begin to understand it in the heart when you see justice not done. we're seeing justice perverted on both sides for a very long time. reclaim the civil rights. meaning, people of faith that look at equal justice. and look at every man the same. that's who needs to reclaim it. not the politicians. not the parties. not white people or black people. people of faith. >> chris: but, glenn, the civil rights movement always had an agenda beyond just equality, beyond just "justice." the full name of the march 47 years ago was the "march on washington for jobs and
9:09am
freedom." >> right. >> chris: one of the speakers at the event was labor leader, a. phillip randolph. a congressman said this, we need a bill that assures quality can earn $5 a week in home of family whose total income is $100,000 a year. the civil rights movement was always about an economic agenda. >> well, you know what, chris? i think that is part of it. but that's a part of it that i don't agree with. i think the bigger part, the thing that we fail to recognize is that is the racial politics. the real agenda should be equal justice. and equal shot. the dream was judge a man by the content of his character,
9:10am
not the color of his skin. that is somebody that everybody can take part in. i don't know if we've actually done that. we're certainly not doing that now with the justice department. when you look at somebody, the black panthers and they're standing at the doorway, african-americans who experience that themselves should be equally outraged. and when you see that happening in a community and somebody is intimidating black voters, you should be equally outraged. those are the main principles. >> chris: wait, wait, wait. wait, let me ask you about that, though, because martin luther king was assassinated when he was leading the poor people's campaign. he advocated what he called an economic bill of rights, guaranteeing everyone a job. i mean, you may say well, that's not your civil rights movement, but it was martin luther king's. >> i'm not martin luther king. martin luther king would have to stand for martin luther king. let his words stand where they are.
9:11am
what i'm talking about is -- and look, chris, i didn't intentionally put it on 8-28. the message is about god and faith. the message that i gave on the steps today was that you need to stand for those things that are right. and empower the individual. believe in the power of one person. don't believe that you can't do it. everybody wants, everybody wants a shot. that we can all agree on. beyond that, it becomes politics. i'm not talking politics. >> chris: this is, i guess, as good a time as any to go back to what you said about president obama last year, which in the coverage of this has been played over and over and over again. let's watch it and i'll talk to you after we hear it. >> this president i think has exposed himself as a guy over and over and over again who has a deep-seeded hatred for white people, or the white
9:12am
culture. i don't know what it is. this guy is, i believe, a racist. >> chris: question -- after that, do you have any credibility talking about reclaiming the civil rights movement? >> okay. let me go over this again on the reclaiming the civil rights movement. people of faith that believe that you have an equal right to justice, that is the essence -- and if it's not the essence, then we've been sold a pack of lies. the essence is everyone deserves a shot. the content of character, not the color of skin. now, i've addressed this comment a million times. in fact, i think i amended it this week that what i didn't understand at the time was the influences on president
9:13am
obama. and, you know, the white culture. read his own books. he writes about the white culture and how he struggled with it, et cetera, et cetera. but i didn't understand really his theology. he's -- his view points come from liberation theology. that's what i think at the gut level i was sensing. and i miscast it as racism. really what it is is liberation theology. >> chris: i know you have said it, but do you, in this context, in this forum do you regret having called him a racism and saying he had a deep-seeded hatred for white people? >> of course, i do. i don't want to retract the -- i want to amend that i think it is much of a theological question.
9:14am
that he is a guy that understands the world through liberation theology, which is oppressor and victim. first of all, it shouldn't have been said. it was poorly said. i have a big fat mouth sometimes and i say things. that's just not the way people should behave. and it was not accurate. it is liberation theology that shaped his world view. >> chris: let me ask you directly about that. the central message -- i'm telling you what the central message of your event was, but the central message was we need to return to god, we need to get straight with god individually, and that is going to help us as a nation. you said recently that the reason that a growing number of americans don't think president obama is a christian is because they don't recognize the faith that he's practicing. in fact, you even called it a perversion of the gospel of jesus christ. you know i respect you and i
9:15am
say this affectionately, but who made you the god squad? >> nobody made me the god squad. the pope even said -- this is pope benedict -- it's demonic, not divine, when theology crosses into the line of doing that which only the divine can do. he was speaking specifically about liberation theology. if you want to ask anybody in the catholic church, they witnessed it. it's marxism disguised as religion. it happened in south america. the catholic church has a very long history with it. they understand it. unlike most religions. and i'm not judging him for that. i'd love to have an open conversation about collective salvation. chris, you know, i don't know, i don't know what you know or what you believe, but most christians when you say, "i'm a christian --" look, i'm a mormon.
9:16am
most people don't recognize me as a christian. who am i to say? i'm not judging. i'm saying most christians would look at collective salvation, which is my salvation, my redemption is incumbent on what the collective does. so i can't be saved unless the collective is saved. that is a direct opposite of what the gospel talks about. jesus came for personal salvation. it's like people say, you know, you just accept jesus and you're saved. that's not what my church teaches. you are, but then you also need to get in there and change your heart as well. okay, that's what i happen to believe. what does the president believe? four different speeches since he's been president he has told and mainly students that your salvation is directly tied to the collective salvation. that is not something that most christians recognize.
9:17am
i'm not demonizing it. i disagree with me. the pope has said -- he's actually demonized it. people aren't recognizing his version of christianity just like -- and 48% of the african-american community doesn't recognize it either, by the way. they didn't recognize it with jeremiah wright. they don't recognize it now. >> chris: let's talk in the time that we have left abo about -- i don't know if this is one of your favorite subjects or not -- glenn beck. i'm trying to figure you out. >> okay. >> chris: in the 40 years that i've been in this business, i've never say, i have to say i've never seen anybody quite like you. you're not a news man. you're not a preacher. you're not a politician. y your radio show bills itself as the fusion of entertainment and enlightenment. what are you?
9:18am
>> i'm a dad. i'm a concerned citizen. i'm a guy who you would not have wanted -- you would have talked to 15 years ago one of the most ignorant man on the planet. i'm a guy who took one class, because it's all i could afford when i was 30 in college. i made a lot of mistakes in live. bottomed out. figured out that i didn't, i didn't know my butt from my elbow. and decided to learn. i read everything i could. i read people who disagree with each other. i try to find the truth. and only because i bottomed out and realized i didn't believe in anything really, i believed in stuff because other people told me. i want to figure out what the
9:19am
real truth is. and inconsistencies bother me. now i find myself in a situation. it started with 9/11. and it has just gotten stronger and stronger. very strong during the bush administration. most media doesn't like to point out, in fact they never do, but i was somebody in the last three years of george w. bush was telling people run, run for your lives! all i'm looking for is the truth. i feel that each of us -- back to your first question. i feel each of us has the responsibility as american citizens to stand guard. if i'm wrong, i will be the first to celebrate. everybody talking about how much money he's -- you know how much money he's making off stuff. are you kidding me? have you listened to my show? i believe it will be worthless at some point. i don't know what the currency will be, gold or acorns but i don't believe it will be the u.s. dollar.
9:20am
>> chris: jon stewart has been going after you a lot recently. i want -- let's watch him doing glenn beck. here it is. >> yeah. >> as i look around at all the truly random things that i scribbled, i'm sorry, i promised myself that i would cry. [ laughter ] >> chris: what do you think of that? >> i think he's funny. i think, honestly, i think he should write me a check. i don't think there is anybody on radio or television that makes more jokes about themselves than me. i tried to get frank taliendo does a great me, i mean really, really well. i tried to get him on the show to do the chalkboard and mock me himself.
9:21am
there is a lot of stuff to make fun of. >> chris: let me ask you about one of those things. what's with all the crying? >> did you notice that i didn't during the speech? >> chris: there were a couple of times you were welling up -- >> okay, for me. but i didn't cry. you know how hard i worked on that? i was a hard living, hard drinking guy, and i don't know what happened. but when i stopped drinking and i turned my life around and i began to care about stuff, i got all mushy inside. believe me, chris, there is nothing, nothing that drives me more -- drives me crazy more than crying all the time. my wife, i was writing the speech. i'm laying down on the floor and i'm writing the speech and my wife comes down and lays down next to me. i just looked at her. and i started to cry. most times she doesn't, she doesn't even say anything. she's like "you want some orange juice?"
9:22am
she said, "what's wrong?" i said no, no, no. it's what's right. it's what's right. i don't know what happened to me. but i'm a mushy guy. i cry at commercials. >> chris: let me ask you about a couple of final things. you announced last month that you have a serious and rare eye disease called macular dytrophy and you could go blind in the next year. how are you doing? >> i'm doing fine. i came to a great place with that where i'm beginning to really come to a great place. if it's not true, shh, just don't anybody tell me. i'm not noticing, i'm not taking things as bad when it comes to experiences in life. they just are. it's what you make of them. i felt bad for myself, i felt
9:23am
sorry for myself for three days because i really like to read. and i wouldn't be able to read. so i felt sorry for myself with that. and then i just got to a place where i'm like you know what? if that's happening, that's because i'm missing something, i'm not seeing something because i have eyes. so what is the next chapter? what is it that is going to happen? with that being said, this particular disease, i love this diagnosis. the doctor said well you have macula dytrophy and you should be blind in the next year, or you could die at a very old age and it could all stop here and it would be fine. so in other words i could be blind or i could not be blind. i think my mother told me that when i ran with a stick. who knows? you could put an eye out. i got that.
9:24am
>> chris: finally, you held a rally on the national mall and hundreds of thousands of people come. after that, are a tv show and a radio show going to be enough for you? >> why? do you have some other idea? >> chris: well, i got to tell you, the blog traffic right now is a beck-palin national ticket in 2012. >> not a chance. i don't know what sarah is doing. i hope to be on vacation. i have no desire to be president of the united states. zero desire. i don't think that i would be electable. and there are far too many people that are far smarter than me to be president. i'd like to find one with some honor and integrity. i haven't seen them yet. they'll show up. >> but when you've got hundreds of thousands of people showing up to see you,
9:25am
glenn, that's something. i mean that is, that's worth something. i don't mean personally to you. but that's people putting their trust in you. >> well, i mean, if that's the case, we should either elect billy graham or paul mccartney. i mean -- >> you don't sing as well as one of them. [ laughter ] >> i know. i know. you know, that's not how we should be looking for our president on whether or n not -- that's politics again. can they get elected? how many people are they -- yada, yada. we should look for people with the right ideas. my feeling right now is the country is in trouble. and i don't see a political solution, because i think we're too divided. i think both parties have sold their souls. and, you know, our founders
9:26am
if you read their speeches and you read their documents and their letters to each other, when they founded our country, they all said it would happen if the people turned from god. so, let's take them as people who knew what they were talking about. what do you say we give the whole let's turn back to god thing a try and see what happens? >> chris: glenn, we want to thank you so much for talking with us at the end of a very long day. thank you, sir. >> thank you, chris. >> chris: up next, more bad economic news. is there anything democrats can do to change the outlook before november? we'll talk with our sunday group when we come right back.
9:27am
9:28am
after 18 months, i have never been more confident that our nation is headed in the right direction. we are doing what is needed
9:29am
to move the country forward. >> chris: well, a funny thing happened during what the white house called the "summer of recovery." the recovery all but disappeared. it's time now for our sunday group. bill kristol of "the weekly standard." mara liasson of national public radio. kevin madden, republican strategist who was mitt romney's spokeman during his run for president. and juan williams, also from national public radio. well, the numbers told a story. let's look at the numbers. g.d.p. growth has now fallen from 5% in the last quarter of 2009 to 3.7% in the first quarter of this year. to just 1.6% in the second quarter. bill, how could the white house have been so wrong about what it was calling at the start "the summer of recovery"? >> well, they had an economic theory that i think turned out not to be correct. which is a classic keynesian huge government stimulus,
9:30am
huge quantitative easing by the fed and it would get the economy going and we'd have a decent recovery and it turns out the fed has done everything it can, and huge stimulus ineffectively spent and now we have an economy that is stagnant. >> chris: mara, the white house is hanging its hat on other numbers represented by the latest figures for the non-partisan congressional budget office. look at those. the big stimulus package, bad as the economy is, they say boosted the g.d.p. by 1.74%. and as bad as unemployment in is, it increased employment from 1.4 to 3.3 million jobs. do they think they can still sell the idea that the stimulus is a success? >> i don't think they can sell the big idea. unemployment, the big gross number for unemployment is just still too high. yes, the c.b.o. numbers show you some things are going in the right direction, but
9:31am
they're not going in the right direction fast enough or big enough to make a difference in november. i think for a while, the democrats were hopeful that they were getting good jobs reports and things were going in the right direction. they can blunt the edge of the bad economy and also limit their losses in november. that is not going to happen now. i think there is a lot of gloom and doom among democrats. their hope now is that individual races with candidates who have a lot of money and have good get out the vote operations can somehow survive what is looking to be a really big anti-democratic wave in november. >> chris: kevin, the public despite all the talk about what the white house hopes, the public certainly seems to have made up its mind about the economy. let's take a look at a new survey from cbs news out this week. when asked about the condition of the economy, 17% said that it's either very or fairly good. 83% said it's very, or fairly bad. and when asked about obama's handling of the economy, 44%
9:32am
approve. 48% disapprove. >> you know, so that just tells us right there that the economy is essentially -- the cement has been poured around the economy as the number one issue. what is really a big problem for the white house and for democrats running for re-election is that there is this giant disconnect between what their rhetoric is and the reality that people are feeling. there is all the empirical and anecdotal evidence in the world that people are anxious about the state of the economy and they're angry with the way washington has responded. what you are seeing now is the recovery summer not only be a policy disaster in the simple fact it showcases the biggest mistake that the democrats made, which was the trillion-dollar stimulus, but it's a terrible political message right now to try to bring to people that they are actually enduring a recovery when people just don't feel it out there. >> chris: juan? >> a couple things to say here. one is ben bernanke of the fed said this week there were some policy options that exist, you know, the things he could do at the fed to try
9:33am
to help the economy get some spark, some life back to it again. but the second thing to say is you know, if you ask the american people who is to blame to this, you still see about 15% blaming president bush. 18% say it's politicians in general. few say oh, yes, we see republicans as the answer or republicans having any answers to this problem with the economic recession. >> chris: i think in one of those polls only 5% specifically blamed president obama. >> that's right. what you see here is not that, the cement is poured to pick up on kevin's analogy, but you see people saying what is going on? the question is who is going to be able to use it to political advantage going forward? vice president biden said this week that the republican minority leader boehner was really someone who was nostalgic for the good old days, looking back to the bush administration. again, you see the obama administration looking back and blaming president bush. will it work going forward? it could work unless republicans come up with some
9:34am
real ideas. put some meat on the bone, as to what they would be doing as opposed to what president obama is proposing. president obama says one, let's do more for small business in terms of tax credits, things that would allow them to hire people. secondly, let's not extend the bush tax cuts to the degree that it benefits people who make more than $250,000. again, if you look at the polls, you know what, chris? the american people agree with president obama. >> you know, in a mid-term election, generally the opponents don't have to make a case. they don't have to have a detailed agenda. this is referendum on the incumbents. the white house and democrats working as hard as they can to make it a choice, not a referendum. the fact is it's a referendum. >> referendum on obama. >> most polls show president bush is still to blame and there are a number of people out there who will say that. but those numbers eroded. we see the growing numbers of people believe that president obama and the democrats have ownership over the economy. so i think that is a problem. that is a bigger problem for them as we head to elections.
9:35am
ultimately, it is going to be a referendum on the president's agenda and what the democrats have done. they asked for the job. they got it. they haven't performed. i think the american public right now is starting to -- >> trajectory of the numbers is exactly as you described them, kevin, but if you go to the fall, the democrats will start making the other case. right now, the democrats and the obama administration lost control of the message on the economy. the c.b.o. numbers that mara and chris were talking about, we haven't heard from president obama. >> the economic agenda did not say we'll have 5% growth in the fourth quarter of 2009 and slow to 2-point-something percent and 2.6% in the second quarter. slower now. that was not the theory that was going to happen. they can talk all they want and blame bush but the economy is slowing. they thought the economy -- >> chris: let me jump in, because you were talking, juan, about the fact, what is going to happen in the fall. obviously, there will be a huge economic debate in the fall. one aspect, mara, is going to be the bush tax cuts. now the democrats were
9:36am
preparing for a debate in which they were going to talk about extending the bush tax cuts for the middle class. but letting the bush tax cuts for the wealthy lapse. but now the economy is so weak, you're getting even some democrats saying maybe we ought to extend all the bush tax cuts for at least a year or two. >> that's right. that might end up being the consensus, which doesn't give either side a crisp message. the democrats were hoping to say look, if the republicans were really serious about doing something about the deficit, they would at least let the bush tax cuts for the highest earners expire. they've got a problem. i mean think've got a problem with the hand full of centrist democrats like ken conrad and nelson and evan bayh who are not for letting any of the tax cuts expire. that will be a problem for them. i imagine a compromise. it might be a complicated debate and it might help the democrats in the fall but they'll have to come up with some kind of compromise that
9:37am
could be temporary extension. >> chris: we have a minute left in this segment. you love to give -- i don't think it's ever taken, but you love to give the democrats advice. at this point, if kevin is right and all of these positions are hardened, the democrats are headed for what looks like a drubbing in november. if you are in the white house right now and you were advising barack obama, what would you say? how do you reshuffle the cards? what do you do? you're not going to be able to really change the facts of the economy. how do you change public perception of you versus the republicans? the democrats versus republicans going into november on the economy? >> don't raise taxes. accept a deal with the republicans to extend current tax rates. it would be a pro-growth measure and it would be popular. markets would rally and it would help democrats. >> chris: juan, you get the last word. is that good politics? >> i don't think it's good politics based on the numbers. most americans don't think you should give tax breaks to the very rich. i think it's 2%. president obama is going to give a tax break to everybody who makes less than 250.
9:38am
that just seems equitable. i know in terms of shuffling the deck, he has to be proactive and he has to take control of the message as opposed to allowing people to say bad economic numbers, evidence that president obama doesn't care about you. that's been the message. that's his fault that he hasn't controlled the message on the economy. >> chris: all right. we have to take a break here. when we come back, a milestone in iraq as the u.s. ends its combat role there. the panel discuss what is we're leaving behind right after the break. 
9:39am
9:40am
9:41am
9:42am
candidate for this office i pledged i would end this war. as president, that's what i'm doing. >> chris: that was president obama this weekend, taking credit for responsibly ending u.s. combat involvement in iraq. and we're back now with our sunday group. so, kevin, tuesday is the official end of u.s. combat role in iraq. the president will mark the e nation from the oval office, as our republican political insider, what should he say, what will he say? >> i expect that right now he's looking to sort of gain any sort of political credit he can for what seems like a good, what seems like good news coming out of iraq. i suspect that he will probably then begin to pivot and talk about the challenges that we continue to face there, as well as the challenges that we face in afghanistan. i think that many republicans are looking to give the president all the credit they can on the fact that we have
9:43am
stability there in iraq. but the fact remains that this president ignored his own advice that he talked about as a candidate. the rhetoric that came out of the campaign was that we ought not to be sending troops there. and the surge is the exact policy that he opposed but it's the exact policy that brought us the stability now that is allowing the president to make these decisions. >> chris: juan, should president obama acknowledge, not, you know, do a mea culpa, i was wrong, but acknowledge that the surge made a difference and do you think he will? >> he might. i don't think it's necessary, although i'm very interested that i hear so much of this coming from republicans, because if you want to go down that road, well, then let's start talk about why we went in that war. most americans think gee, there were no weapons of mass destruction. it was a mistake to get into that war. it's damaged america moral authority to talk about pre-emptive wars.
9:44am
you know, what did we pre-empt? what did we accomplish there? did we stabilize the country? no. they have terrible sectarian violence, we thaw evidence of that this week. dysfunctional government. we're trying our best to justify the fact we lost 4,000 americans. it's unbelievable. it's upsetting. >> i think the president argued that we do have stability there. >> chris: let me get to that with you, bill, because regardless of what the president is going to say or not say, talk about the situation on the ground in iraq. juan is quite right. they held a national election in march. they still do not have a government. there has been an uptick -- violence is obviously down from the worst days but there has been an uptick of violence in recent months. we're going to have tens of thousands of troops there until at least the end of 2011. but today, what are we leaving in iraq? where does iraq stand? >> it depends what we do in
9:45am
iraq, as it depended what we did in 1953 in korea. eisenhower said we'll get out of korea and end the war. he did. republicans were critical of truman's pulling to out of the war. but he didn't just wash his hands of it and say it's up to koreans to ensure their future. he left them stability -- >> chris: wait, wait, wait. it was george w. bush who negotiated the status of forces agreement that all troops are out of the 2011. >> but if you talk to people they said it could be renegotiated. if the iraqi government wants to renegotiate that in the next year once they get the government set up in the next month the president should signal that we'd be open to that. we invested a lot in iraq. we won the war thanks to odierno and petraeus. odierno has the job of managing the drawdown to minimize damage done by drawing down 1800 troops in 18 months. we should win the peace. we have stake in iraq, reasonably democratic and stable. the rhetoric of the war is over to, it's now up to the
9:46am
iraqis is a mistake. i think president obama is responsible but he should not wash his hands of iraq. it's irresponsible. >> he's not washing his hands of it. there are 50,000 troops there. the big question as bill said is what happens in 2011, is the deal renegotiated? but he came in office and said he'd withdrawal troops and he should get credit for sticking to his president. he has been president for two years. the republicans do want to blame him for everything bad that's gone on in that time, then they should give him credit for some of the good things. he has acknowledged that the surge has worked. he will never give enough credit to bush for that decision to satisfy republicans but he continued the policy of the presidency. >> chris: let me switch to the other big event that is going to happen this week. let me start with you, bill. the israelis and the palestinians resume direct talks in washington on thursday for the first time in two years. president obama is going to host at least the initial sessions.
9:47am
they have a timeline of just one year to get things done. what realistically can we expect? >> well, they shouldn't expect to get everything done in a year. the timeline is artificial, and the president should let prime minister benjamin netanyahu and prime minister abbas negotiate. netanyahu wants to meet every two weeks. that's good. let them meet and talk and see what they can work out. don't expose unrealistic expectations that it will blow up and lead to things wor worse. >> chris: juan? >> the question is about settlements. what you hear from abbas is they go back to the settlements, that he cuts off the talk. last time the talks were cut off because israel launched offensive in gaza. now we have a break. the question is can netanyahu hold together as his forces together in israeli politics to say you know what? we're best served by some sort of peace, despite the pressure -- and i think there are tremendous pressures on israel. there has to be a sense that we are about peace first and
9:48am
foremost. for the last few times that the negotiations has taken place, the emphasis has been on asserting that israel has been victimized by terrorist activities, but hamas and the failure of palestinians to govern themselves. >> wait a mimenute. >> chris: let me ask about that. the players at the table, prime minister netanyahu who heads a right wing coalition. you've got president abbas of the palestinian authority who controls only part of the palestinians, because there is this big split between fatah, the faction that he heads, and hamas which is deemed a terrorist group which controls gaza. can either side make a deal? >> well, that is the question. both of them have domestic political challenges. however, they both have an interest in making a deal. we'll see if it works. it's a mistake to have any great optimism about any round of middle east peace talks. but there is one thing that's indication of the success of the talks. the end of september is the end of the moratorium on
9:49am
settlement building and it will be up to israelis to decide if they want to extend the moratorium or not. palestinians said if it's not extended they will walk out. >> chris: kevin, there have been a lot of presidents who tried. jimmy carter, great success with camp david. bill clinton who tried and failed. is this something that the president wants to get involved and emmeshed in? or something politically he needs to look at? >> the challenges are great for every president despite party affiliation. the big challenge for the president you have traditional constituencies here where he is looking to gain political credit with the united states. they've always been skeptical with the president on this. they believe he's too hard-lined on the israelis when it comes to settlement. this is politically fraught with a great deal of peril. domestically, how does it play? it doesn't look like he's taking his eye off the economy. that's something if i was at the white house i'd worry about now. >> chris: all right. thank you, panel. we'll see you all next week.
9:50am
don't forget to check out the latest edition of panel plus where the group picks up with the discussion on the website, foxnewssunday.com. we promise we'll post the video before noon eastern time. up next, our power player of the week.
9:51am
so, get this -- kraft mac & cheese... but it's in a bag. and you bake it... in the oven. whatever happened to cheesasaurus rex? i love that guy. well, kraft corporation, i'm on to you -- going after the grown-ups and trying to muscle me out. but i'm not going anywhere. [ male announcer ] new kraft homestyle macaroni & cheese. cheesy noodles topped with golden brown breadcrumbs. you know you love it.
9:52am
>> chris: violence is the leading cause of death for african-american teens and young men. but one doctor has built a program to save lives in and out of the operating room. he's our power player of the week. >> we take the act and we save their life and we send them out. >> chris: trauma surgeon carnell cooper is talking about the revolving door of violence in our inner cities. he spent years at the university of maryland medical center in baltimore patching up young
9:53am
african-american men who had been wounded in the streets, only to have them come back more seriously wounded. the turning point was in 1996, when a former patient was readmitted with a fatal gunshot to the head. >> we can't do anything about the things that put him here. we can't do anything about those. i didn't believe that. >> chris: dr. cooper started the violence intervention program, to try to reach young men at a vulnerable moment and get them to change. >> why that guy is in the hospital, why his family is at the bedside crying, over whether he is going to die, perhaps that is a moment when that person will have, will stop and think. >> chris: cooper saw them in the first 24 hours. >> we don't want you coming back into the hospital again with another injury, which may kill you the second time. we're very up front and very clear. >> chris: he identified risk factors that had to be addressed. >> do you have a record already? >> chris: if the patient
9:54am
needed a job, they helped him get one. if they had a drug problem, they put him in a program. >> these are folks in difficult situations who have got support who have no idea how to dig themselves out of the hole, because they've been in that hole the entire life. >> chris: and you're there with a shovel? >> exactly. >> over the last 11 years, v.i.p. has helped almost 1,000 people. they are six times less likely to get hurt again, three times less likely to be arrested for a violent crime. howard mccray is now a caseworker for v.i.p. >> it took me to be shot twice to really open up my eyes and realize there is something out there for me to live for. that was my children. >> ask why do we kill for thrills? >> chris: there's also a program to keep kids away from street crime in the first place. >> you've only got one life to live. make sure when you die your life was worth every moment of it. >> chris: v.i.p. has an
9:55am
annual budget of $350,000 from grants and private donations. with 50 clients on its roster at one time. cooper sees inner city violence as a public health crisis. >> as a trauma surgeon seeing young folks come in with severe trauma, it can get very sad. but if you have something to give them when you finish patching them up, that will move them forward and perhaps keep them coming back, it gives you hope. that's what i have. that's what it gives me. >> chris: dr. cooper has helped set up similar programs in california and the midwest. and with more than 500 trauma centers across the country, he sees the potential to save a lot more lives. up next, we hear from you.
9:56am
9:57am
>> chris: time now for comments that you posted to the blog wallace watch at foxnewssunday.com. many of you wrote about our interview with former illinois governor rod blagojevich who was found guilty on only one of the 24 charges against him with the jury unable to reach a verdict on all the other counts. david mansfield from chicago sent this --
9:58am
>> chris: neil yates saw it differently -- >> chris: and then there was our power player story about fox news correspondent jennifer griffin, who was back to work this week in afghanistan after a tough but successful battle against breast cancer. mike mccurty from coppel, texas, wrote this -- mike, you summed up how we all feel about her. keep your comments coming to wallace watch at foxnewssunday.com. that's it for today. have a great week. we'll see you next "fox news have a great week. we'll see you next "fox news sunday." captioned by closed captioning services, inc
9:59am